I found this function to create a font and played around with it until I had a version that was recognized by the GdipDrawString function. Now I have code that compiles without errors and causes no runtime errors, but the text is still not displaying (or maybe just not displaying how & where I thought it should). So I still need to play around with that problem, but at least I know that I have found a function that produces the right type of thing to pass to GdipDrawString.
I spent quite a bit of time this week drafting my paper and sent a rough draft to my adviser Friday. He responded quickly enough that I was able to make revisions before submitting a draft for grading. Overall I’m happy with the way the paper is shaping up.