- Name of Your Project
Driver Drowsiness Detection Using Deep Neural Networks
- What research topic/question your project is going to address?
Driving while feeling sleepy or tired is one of the main causes of traffic accidents. One solution for this might be having a device in the car that monitor drivers’ behaviors and facial expressions and ring the alarm if the drivers tend to fall asleep.
- What technology will be used in your project?
Dataset of facial expressions (images and videos)
- What software and hardware will be needed for your project?
Python, PyTorch (or Keras)
- How are you planning to implement?
Build a pipeline that first apply some image processing techniques to improve the quality of the images, then train a model (using neural networks) to detect and locate face position in the images, and the last step is to build a model (also using deep neural networks) to classify the behaviors and facial expressions.
- How is your project different from others? What’s new in your project?
Most relevant projects track the drivers’ eyes to see if they close their eyes. I am considering checking eyes movements and also other behaviors such as yawning or nodding off in order to improve the classification performance.
- What’s the difficulties of your project? What problems you might encounter during your project?
There might not be a big dataset for me to use.