- Name of Your Project
A Real Time Fall Detection System to Assist the Elderly Using Deep Neural Networks
- What research topic/question your project is going to address?
The elderly have a high chance of falling and get injured or faint. This might put them to danger if they are alone. One way that can help the elder people is having a system that can monitor their actions, detect the falling action and other behaviors after falling down, classify the levels of severity and send an alert to their emergency contacts or the emergency room if the level is serious.
- What technology will be used in your project?
Deep learning, pattern recognition, image processing
- What software and hardware will be needed for your project?
Python, PyTorch (or Keras)
I might also need a CCTV camera if I decide to build the actual device.
- How are you planning to implement?
First I will apply some image processing techniques to enhance the images and videos quality. If the dataset is small, I will use of image data augmentation techniques to produce more data. Then train the model that detect the person falling in the photo frame using deep neural networks, then use the people falling photos and videos to train a model that classify the level of severity. When the index of severity passes a threshold, send out the alert.
- How is your project different from others? What’s new in your project?
There are several projects that work on the similar problem. Most of them work on detecting the falling action only. In this project, I hope to build a system that is more detail and can decide whether it is an emergency case.
- What’s the difficulties of your project? What problems you might encounter during your project?
I might not be able to find a big enough dataset to train the model.